[IDV #HVX-641068]: 20130530: need simple example of back trajectories in IDV

> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Can you give me a quick ABC on how to do back trajectories in the
> > IDV?
> >
> > One group of students here at the PASI will be working on transport
> > of Saharan dust to the Caribbean, and it would be very useful to
> > be able to illustrate the likely origins of air parcels sampled.
> >
> > This will be used Friday afternoon in a computer lab.
> >
> > Thanks in advance...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom
>
> Tom,
> It is very easy to do.
> 1)Open a globe view window.
>
> 2)Load a dataset, gfs 1 degree, you may need more than one dataset since it
> takes pretty long time to move dust from Saharan to Caribbean, if so,
> aggregate them.
>
> 3)In the field Selector,  select momentum > derived > Grid 3D trajectory,
> click create display, when a window popup, select the colored by parameter.
> Note: it would be good to use property window to subset the time, use every
> other, or something, otherwise, it is too big to load every time step.
>
> 4)In the trajectory control, select level to 85000, inital area as
> "Rectangle",  and check the "Backward trajectory" box,  and draw a rectangle
> in the globe view window around the Caribbean region, and click "Create
> Trajectory"
>
> The only thing I worry about is the internet speed if you are getting data
> from remote server.

After the trajectory display created:

1)In the control, select Times tab, and change the time mode to: Start time as
Relative to End Time, offset to -6 hour, and End time:  from Animation Time.

2) You can use the animation widget to run the animation backward.

3) Note: you need to aggregate 2 gfs data to cover the period of movement, but
there should be no time overlapped.

have fun!

Yuan
> Yuan
>
> > --
> > +----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> > * Tom Yoksas                                            UCAR Unidata
> > Program *
> > * (303) 497-8642 (last resort)                                 P.O. Box
> > 3000 *
> > * address@hidden                                  Boulder, CO 80307 *
> > * Unidata WWW Service
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/ *