[IDV #QIA-177254]: UNAVCO IDV viewer

Dave,

We had to do a bit of digging around, but we believe all these issues
can be handled.

I attach a screenshot of the Text Point Metadata GUI. Note a few
things:

- Here is the Date format I used: yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss.sss'Z'

- The depth field is in kilometers (not meters) and you must also
  specify a scale=-1 in the "Extra" field.

- Mag has no unit.

You are going to want to save this metadata definition for future
use. See the following links on how to achieve this. You will have to
look at the bottom of those pages.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/datadisplays/point/TextPointData.html

Once you click "Add Source" in the "Data Choosers" tab of the
Dashboard, you will then be taken to the "Field Selector" tab. See the
second attached image.

You will want to display the "Point Data" field. At this point, you
should have a display of the earthquake data with the values correctly
plotted in the vertical dimension.

Now to incorporate the magnitude will take a bit more work. In the
Legend, click on the "Text Point Data" link. This action will take you
to the Displays, Layout tab of the Dashboard.

You are going to have to change the Layout model to incorporate the
magnitude.

Read about this topic here:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/tools/StationModelEditor.html
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/resources/stationmodel/StationModelEditor.html

I was able to plot the magnitude with circles that varied by size
according to the magnitude.

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Best Wishes,

Unidata IDV Support

Ticket ID: QIA-177254
Department: Support IDV