Re: [IDV #RJZ-602723]: error with grib file on RAMADDA

I see. So it has nothing to do with the installation of the TDS on Brian's machine, but rather the TDS that is shipped with RAMADDA.

The default place for the CDM to put the index files is alongside the file itself; in the event the user running the TDS does not have permission (which user tomcat does not), then it defaults to ${home}/.unidata. The user tomcat does not have permission to create that directory on Brian's machine, so no love for caching in RAMADDA at the moment. The TDS needs to be able to write out the index files somewhere, and at the moment, it has no place to do so.

I created a soft link (/opt/tds-live/.unidata) to point to /data/repository/.unidata, which has the correct permissions for the user tomcat. Things appear be working now.

Jeff, it would be useful if there could be an option in the repository.properties config file for the user to be able to set the location of the tds cache location, rather than trying to define a set place in the threddsConfig.xml. The IDV sets the location in DataManager; is there a similar central manager in RAMADDA where this can be done? I can take a look at this tomorrow.

Cheers,

Sean