[IDV #SUF-224604]: netcdf file formatting issue

> Thank you for your help.
>
> I have been able to make a file that IDV reads in.  One thing I did not yet
> include in my netcdf file is the date/time that the data correspond to.
> Should this be a variable or an attribute of a variable?  When I look at my
> colleague's data in the 'field selector' if IDV I see the time in the box
> below the displays box.  How should time be stored in the netcdf file?  are
> seconds of day ok?  julian day?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Sonja

Sonja,
   The time dimension associates with a time variable, and the data/time
information is stored in this time variable. There are many way to do this,
basically, the most important information is the unit of this variable, for
example:

double time(time=10);
  :long_name = "reference time";
  :units = "hours since 1970-01-01";
  :_CoordinateAxisType = "Time";

if its unit is seconds,

double time(time=10);
  :long_name = "time of stroke";
  :units = "seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00";
  :_CoordinateAxisType = "Time";

Hope this can help.

Yuan

Ticket ID: SUF-224604