[IDV #UXJ-837158]: average spatial subset with ASCII output query

> Do you know if IDV can produce spatial averages at each time step? For
> example, I have a 2D 1000hPa temperature plot at a daily time step for 100
> days for all of North America. What I would like to do is to be able to
> calculate an area average of the temperature for a spatial subset of a
> specific area, say like for the southeast USA only.

Teddy,
    Yes, there is a formula, savs(a),  you can use to do the area average of
some variables. First, load your dataset, and in the Field Selector, select
Formulas > Grids > Define a grid diagnostic, and select Color-Shaded Plan view
as display type, click create display. When a window popup, type in savs(a).
And then another window popup,  select the temperature field, and subset the
area. You will see a solid color display created. Now in the display control,
File > Save > Save data in cache .... Second, go back to the Field Selector,
select the cached data, and Probes > Data Probe/Time Series, and create
display, you will get the time series chart of the average field.

    It is a little trick, but it should work.
    By the way, I read the meeting notes of your trip. What a great job
promoting IDV, many thanks.

Yuan

> I would like the output to be a single value at each time representing the
> areal average for my defined spatial subset region. As a result, I ultimately
> wish to have 100 average temperature values only; one for each spatial subset
> at every time step.
>
> Does this make sense? I think that IDV does not do things like this, but it
> would be a dream if so. I have scoured the formula library and have had no
> luck. Any ideas or experience with this?
>
> In the meantime, I read in a 3D netcdf file (x,y,t) to GrADS where I use the
> aave function to calculate spatial averages and then output ASCII data in a
> text file. The result is a text file with only 100 values, which is what I
> want. Ideally, I would like to do this on the IDV if possible.
>
> As always, I remain a huge IDV user and advocate!
> Thank you,
> teddy allen

> Teddy Allen, Ph.D. Student
>
> The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
>
> Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography
>
> 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
>
> Miami, FL 33149
>
> USA
>

> Director of Scientific Applications
>
> The International Environmental Data Rescue Organization (IEDRO)
>
> www.iedro.org
>

> Office: MSC-315
>
> Tel : +001-305-421-4275
>
> skype: teddy.allen