[IDV #ZSW-765017]: IDV 5.0u1 on Mac OS X (10.9)

Dave,

Please copy and paste the original, complete error message when you ran "runIDV"
from the command line.

Also, changing the path may be (probably is) a red herring. The permissions may
be
more relevant.

What happens when you keep the path as it was originally, but simply change
permissions.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> On Aug 7, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Yuan Ho <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Dear IDV Community,
> >
> > An update release of IDV 5.0u1 is available for download at:
> >
> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/current/
>
> Yuan (et al.),
>
> I downloaded IDV 5.0u1 for Mac OS X and installed it on my MacBook Pro
> running Mac OS X 10.9.4 (Mavericks). Out of the box, it wouldn’t start
> (either by double-clicking on the IDV icon or by running runIDV directly—not
> surprising, since the former just does the latter). Running runIDV directly
> produced the basic error message configured in the script (“consult
> address@hidden”).
>
> I trouble-shot the problem, and appear to have solved it by making two
> changes:
>
> (1) In the runIDV script, I changed the path to java stored in the “jre”
> variable from “jre.bundle/Content/Home”  to "jre.bundle/Content/Home/jre”.
>
> (2) I changed the permissions on jre.bundle/Content/Home/jre/bin/java to
> grant everyone execution permission. (No one had execution permission when it
> was first installed.)
>
> I haven’t yet tested the code beyond simply starting the IDV.
>
> It appears that jre.bundle/Content/Home/jre/bin/java isn’t the same as the
> version of java installed on my machine, in
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java
> (with a symbolic link to it from /usr/bin/java). (The latter is the version
> of java that I updated yesterday.) So, I’m assuming that any old “java”
> program won’t due and that runIDV needs to run
> jre.bundle/Content/Home/jre/bin/java.
>
> — Dave

Ticket ID: ZSW-765017
Department: Support IDV