[IDV #YRO-805590]: Trouble Creating Vector Display

> Full Name: Walter Hannah
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Mac OS X
> Hardware: Java: home: /Applications/IDV_5.0u1/jre.bundle/Contents/Home/jre
> version: 1.7.0_67 j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> Description of problem: Couldn't get data
> RealTupleType: CoordinateSystem Units must be convertable with default Units
>
> I get this error every time I try to make a vector display or contour display
> of U and V wind data.
>
> I've tried changing the "units" attribute, no change in the error
> I've tried changing the "long_name" attribute, no change in the error
> I've tried to "add an alias" to the U and V variables as suggested in this
> post:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/idv/msg04746.html
> I've also tried to use the grid formula method without success ( Formula >
> Grid > Make flow vector from u and v )
>
> I don't understand what this error is telling me! what are the default units?
> Is it talking about lat/lon units?
>
> I have other 2D variables of things like TPW, and I can make displays with
> that data with no problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Walter
Hi Walter,

The vector display will require the unit of velocity. In your case, you can
still use the  formula

Formula > Grid > Make flow vector from u and v

but, do not enter your u and v directly. You should select the Formula >
Miscellaneous > Change Unit for both fields.

When a new window popup, enter "a" and "m/s", and then select your u field for
a. The same for the next Change Unit window,
enter "b" and "m/s", and select your v field for b.

It should work. If possible, I will try to work on the dataset to make it more
CF compliant.

Yuan

> [...]
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getFlatField(GeoGridAdapter.java:1233)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.readTimeStep(GeoGridAdapter.java:1560)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.access$100(GeoGridAdapter.java:113)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter$1.run(GeoGridAdapter.java:1455)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:273)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runInParallel(ThreadManager.java:245)
> at visad.util.ThreadManager.runSequentially(ThreadManager.java:223)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.makeSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:1470)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridAdapter.getSequence(GeoGridAdapter.java:1140)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.makeFieldImpl(GeoGridDataSource.java:2055)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.grid.GeoGridDataSource.getDataInner(GeoGridDataSource.java:1366)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:2389)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:332)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataChoice.setData(DerivedDataChoice.java:643)
> at
> ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataChoice.collectOperands(DerivedDataChoice.java:547)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataChoice.getData(DerivedDataChoice.java:746)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:637)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:243)
> at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:207)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:206)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:163)
> at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:144)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.GridDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(GridDisplayControl.java:299)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.initializeDataInstance(DisplayControlImpl.java:3278)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:3234)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.setData(PlanViewControl.java:664)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.FlowPlanViewControl.setData(FlowPlanViewControl.java:210)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.init(PlanViewControl.java:489)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1402)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1085)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)

Ticket ID: YRO-805590
Department: Support IDV