[IDV #QEL-679004]: Use case for time matching, HRRR, etc...

> That works, but only for the reflectivity.  I'd like to have HRRR
> analyses of surface wind vectors, for example, to overlay on the the
> observed reflectivity in that period.
>
> Jim

You can use the surface METAR data from ADDE server. For the wind vector, you
can use the Formula > Grids > Make flow vectors from u and v. When the widow
popup, you can select Surface (METAR) > Gridded Fields > SPD and DIR for u and
v.

Yuan

> On 2/10/15 11:43 AM, Unidata IDV Support wrote:
> >> Yuan:
> >>
> >> OK.  It took me a night's sleep, but I guess one can either grab
> >> the "Best Time Series" option or the "Latest Collection." I'm guessing
> >> the Latest Collection is the most recent model run? That seems to be the
> >> case when I load it up.  However, I'm still unable to do what I would
> >> like.  Here's the issue.
> >>
> >> What I would like is observed reflectivity for part of the loop and
> >> then HRRR reflectivity for the other part (i.e., the future).  I would
> >> also like to overlay HRRR analyses on top of the observed reflectivity.
> >> I can do this if I set my time driver through the Time Animation
> >> Properties Widget and I can get it to work if I time match the HRRR Best
> >> Time Series to the widget. However, when I do this, it displays the HRRR
> >> reflectivity along with the observed reflectivity, which I don't want.
> > Jim,
> >        How about this kind of design: setup the driver time through the
> > animation widget as past 12 hour to
> > future 18 hour like before. Then, use this driver time to time match the
> > real observed radar reflectivity
> > from the adde server, you will only load the observed part. Again, use the
> > driver time to load the
> > reflectivity field from HRRR latest dataset. The result will be closed to
> > what you want, you may see
> > one time step observed overlay from both datasets.
> >
> > Yuan
> >> I've tried to get around this in the attached bundle by loading the
> >> HRRR Latest Collection, which I use to plot just the reflectivity in the
> >> forecast.  Then, I loaded the Best Time Series in the hopes of plotting
> >> the vector winds on top of both the observed reflectivities and the HRRR
> >> forecast reflectivities. However, when I do this, it only plots wind up
> >> to the period that the HRRR Latest Collection is available for.
> >>
> >> I suppose what I am doing here is a bit unusual, but it is
> >> something very useful for teaching nowcasting.  Basically, I'm trying to
> >> blend an image/analysis loop (in this case, radar reflectivity with HRRR
> >> analyses) seemlessly into a forecast loop (in this case HRRR
> >> reflectivity and analyses).  I'd actually like to do this with a number
> >> of my bundles as it would make class much easier to teach than what I'm
> >> doing now, which is loading up analysis and forecast bundles separately.
> >>
> >> Jim

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: QEL-679004
> > Department: Support IDV