[IDV #RZP-160177]: unable to read netcdf file.

Mark,

The problem with these data is that they do not follow CF (or any) conventions
so the IDV cannot open them.

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/conventions.html

I would also maybe suggest specifying the central longitude for the cylindrical
projection. (Panoply must be assuming a central longitude of 0, I guess.)

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

Ticket ID: RZP-160177
Department: Support IDV