[IDV #EOV-949152]: NUCAPS data

> Hi,
>
> I spoke with Yuan about creating an adaptor for viewing the soundings of the
> NUCAPS data in the IDV due to his expertise with adapting the sounding
> display code for previous satellite derived sounding products.  This is a
> very rich dataset, and there are various ways in which scientists might want
> to view this data.  In case this knowledge impacts how an adaptor is written,
> I have outlined some of the possible applications below.
>
> As a sounding, there are useful examples of how this data is displayed in
> this blog post
> http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/15857
> <http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/15857>
>
> In particular, it would be nice for users of the IDV to know the location of
> the soundings and the sounding itself.  This link below shows a series of
> images that demonstrate how multiple fields of regard contain individual
> soundings at each location, and a sounding from one location:
>
> http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MayNUCAPSCase.gif
>
> <http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MayNUCAPSCase.gif>
>
> multiple soundings can be used to create a plan view of the field
>
> http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Sounding_SNPP11.45_18UTC_10June2014.gif
>
> <http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Sounding_SNPP11.45_18UTC_10June2014.gif>
>
> From the same file, each sounding field could be combined and represented as
> a 2D field.  As well as being displayed as a vertical cross section.  This
> capability is also very important.  Attached to this message are examples
> provided courtesy of Dr Antonia Gambacorta.
>
> Bob Carp has outlined a limited way of displaying only the top level of data
> in McIDAS-V, in this forum post:
> http://mcidasv.ssec.wisc.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1671&hilit=NUCAPS&sid=6112e35134a747563708fd58c693e396
>
> <http://mcidasv.ssec.wisc.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1671&hilit=NUCAPS&sid=6112e35134a747563708fd58c693e396>.
>   However, this only shows one level of the 3D fields, and while this works
> for fields of Temperature, in my experience, it fails for other fields such
> as SO2.
>
> There are multiple inquiries already open in the McIDAS-V system, perhaps the
> McIDAS development team knows of a few more:
> http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1873
> <http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1873>,
> http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1874
> <http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1874>,
> http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=2218
> <http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=2218>,
> http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=2270
> <http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=2270>.
>
> It will be wonderful to gain quick access to viewing this data in the IDV and
> McIDAS-V.  To my knowledge, options for quick viewing of this data outside of
> [...]

Hi Joleen,
         I checked the sample datasets a bit, and quick interesting.
         Each file is some kind of collection of station profiles, and with
some other information (not sure what to do). It is CF compliant dataset, but
if I used the CDM to check the type I can only
detect the point type. I think this dataset might need some works to make it in
better shape, do you have the privilege to do it, or we will have to live with
the current structure. Are these datasets
available to our community?

        On the IDV side, I will need to have two weeks time to develop a new
adapter and maybe in the summer.

Yuan

Ticket ID: EOV-949152
Department: Support IDV