[IDV #YLQ-927087]: Surface Wind Speeds

Chris,

You can obtain surface observation via the IDV Dashboard, Data Choosers Tab,
Observations > Point Data option. This action will allow you to connect to an
ADDE data server that has surface observations from around the world.

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/quickstart/Surface.html

The data only go a few days back (Unidata is not archival data center). For
historical observations from ADDE you may wish to contact SSEC
(http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/datacenter/archive.html)

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Chris Murphy
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_5.2\jre version: 1.8.0_45
> j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> Description of problem:
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't have a problem with the software, its more a question of sourcing
> the correct data. I'm interested in surface wind speeds,both land and sea,
> at various sites around the world. I'm new to both this software but also
> accessing data from what appears to be an overwhelming number of sources.
>
> Could you perhaps point me in the right direction by naming relevant data
> sources which contain both historical and current surface wind speed data.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris Murphy

Ticket ID: YLQ-927087
Department: Support IDV