[IDV #NXH-468295]: HRRR thredds server esrl - cannot aggregate grids by time

> I've noticed several sources of HRRR model data for subsetting and
> generating display (custom 2D grids) in IDV. Can you suggest alternative
> servers or alternative  solutions?
>
> 1) From thredds Unidata: www.unidata.ucar.edu/georesources/idvcatalog.xml
>
> NCEP HRRR v2 - Has the 2D fields I need except surface heat flux and
> latent heat flux. The NOMADS Grads server is showing these two fields
> (among others) that I need. Can Unidata ad these fields? No 3D native
> level data.

Hi Walter,

According to our developer in charge the Thredds data server, the two fields
you mentions that are missing from HRRR v2  do not get sent across noaaport ,
we would need to request that those be added to CONDUIT and not sure when will
this be available.

> GSD HRRR (I assume it's V3) - When selecting 2D fields, I get a strange
> collections of grid times. Ex: Sat the model run time is 1400Z. It shows
> 1401, 1402... 1418, then 1415, 1430, 1445 ... to end model forecasts.
> This is causing problems during IDV display generation.

Some variables do have different time intervals, in general, the IDV should be
able to create display. You can also create two separated displays for two
period of times.
I am not sure I understand your problem correctly.

> 2) From thredds esrl: esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/thredds/catalog.xml
>
> HRRR V3 non-operational. Has wrfnat (all native 3d levels) and 2D
> fields. This server has all the fields and more that are desirable (i.e.
> TKE, fractional shallow cloud, etc). But, I cannot time aggregate the
> individual grid times in IDV.

Since this gridded dataset has more than one time dimensions , the IDV can not
do the time aggregation correctly. If there is only
one time dimension, you can simply set the Data Source Type as "Aggregate Grids
by Time".  What you can do here is to load the individual
dataset first, and then call the Formulas > Grids > Time steps > Merge time
sequences, when the new window popup, you can select variable from
each time and click "Add selected", and select a display type, and create
display.

This is not a smart way to do the aggregation, we are working on better
solution in the next release.

> 3) NOMADS server - Grads v2.0 Opendap - Accessing this through the
> motherlodelist
>
> HRRR V2- operational. No 3d wrfnat (native levels). It does have 2D
> fields for surface heat flux and latent heat flux among others. No units
> defined in metadata! So, IDV does not play well when creating custom
> grids and displays.

You (/we) can use ncml to add some metadata to the dataset, but the better
solution is to let the data provider
to do modify the data to be more CF compliance.

Yuan

> Help!
>
> I'm going to cross post this in idvusers
>
> Walt Rogers

Ticket ID: NXH-468295
Department: Support IDV