[IDV #QJR-730252]: ISL: Close an IDV display window after capturing an image, or better, dispense with a display window altogether

> Yuan,
>
> When I log onto the ldm account on virga.sfsu.edu <http://virga.sfsu.edu/>
> remotely using ssh (note: X11 forwarding is turned on), and run a simple
> script that first runs Xvfb and then runs “runIDV GOES_W_IR.isl”, the result
> is the same whether I run it as “ldm” or using sudo:
>
> ldm_virga% sudo Xvfb_test.sh
> Password:
> Running GOES_W_IR.isl
> Thu Apr 16 09:49:21 PDT 2020: Loading bundle:
> /usr/local/unidata/scripts_isl/GOES_W_IR.xidv
> loadDataSource
> 3D [dev] 1.6.0-pre12-daily-experimental daily
>
> Error loading bundle: /usr/local/unidata/scripts_isl/GOES_W_IR.xidv
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class
> visad.java3d.VisADCanvasJ3D
> ….. etc.
>
> I wonder if, like native Mac applications such as Safari, the IDV ignores
> Xvfb and the DISPLAY variable and uses the Mac-native windowing system. If
> so, running this script would work if I logged onto virga via a VNC
> connection and ran the script in an X-terminal open on virga, because then
> the IDV could ignore the DISPLAY variable successfully because it would use
> the Mac-native windowing system. That wouldn’t be true logging on remotely
> via ssh.
>
> If you want to try the test yourself on a local machine at Unidata, I’ve
> attached the simpler script, Xvfb_test.sh, which shouldn’t require any
> adaptation on your part, along with GOES_W_IR.isl (which requires changing
> the path to the IDV bundle and to the output GIF image) and GOES_W_IR.xidv
> (which requires changing paths to the GOES-West IR full disk data source in
> three places).
>
> — Dave

I remembered a long time ago we have this kind of disscussion, and one user
suggested to use Xdummy, and I have one from Suvy:

export DISPLAY=:0
xargs Xdummy -reset &
export DISPLAY=:0
runIDV testing.isl

another one from other user:

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=:0
cd $HOME
./killname Xorg.azureuser
./killname Xdummy
xargs ./Xdummy -reset >xdummylog 2>&1 &

#echo `grep DISPLAY /home/xdummylog|cut -d ' ' -f4`
#echo $dd
cd $HOME/IDV_5.0u1
export DISPLAY=:0
echo "RUNNING ON "$DISPLAY >>log