[IDV #NPF-467611]: queries on IDV software analysis of climate data

Hi Dr. Raju,

The IDV is a visualization and analysis tool designed for research and
education. In general, the IDV
can load different data sources and create integrated displays in 3D space. I
will provide some
information under your questions:

> Dear IDV support team,
>
> I am Dr.U.Jaya Prakash Raju, working as
> Assistant professor in Ethiopian university, recently i came across your
> videos on IDV Unidata software tutorials. I am tired of searching for
> suitable GUI softwares to read and analyze netCDF atmospheric datasets.
> Fortunately, i found IDV software, before its usage, i have some
> queries regarding this software, can you clarify me?

> 1.  Is IDV able to read netCDF/Hdf Aerosol AOD and AE parameters from
> MODIS satellite data ? and can apply simple descriptive statistics such as
> monthly, annual, seasonal average of parameters and their display of data
> contours like lat vs time or long vs time or lat-long?  MODIS data can be
> obtained from
> https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/archive/allData/61/MOD04_3K/2000/055/

We do have some users working on MODIS level 2 or 3 data, I am not sure the data
from the above link (I don't have an account).

> 2. Is IDV able to work on  vertical profiles of parameter (temperature)

Yes.

> 3. ECMWF reanalysis data: vertical profiles of all parameters from 0-55km
> can be obtained from
> https://cds.climate.copernicus.eu/cdsapp#!/dataset/satellite-humidity-profiles?tab=form

Yes, ECMWF reanalysis data has been used a lot in the IDV community.

> 4. COSMIC satellite data: daily vertical temperature profiles from 0-50km
> can be obtained https://data.cosmic.ucar.edu/gnss-ro/

Yes, we have some collaboration with the COSMIC group.

> 5. SABER satellite data: daily vertical temperature profiles from 10-100km
> can be obtained from http://saber.gats-inc.com/data.php

I don't know this data, if these netCDF format data follow the CF convention, we
should be able to visualize the data.

> Can i get contours along with their data displays, further is there option
> of applying signal processing techniques such as FFT/WAVELET/PDS/FILTERS
> and their contours along with data display.
> Thanks in advance for your clarifications.

Whether you can the contours display depends on the type of the data. And, we
don't
have these signal processing techniques, however, you can add the plugin on top
of
the Jython library to create these techniques. The IDV has very strong data
analysis
capabilities.

Yuan

> --