20000809: ldm-mcidas build at U. Missouri-Columbia

>From:  Local Data Manager <address@hidden>

Pat,

>Second, and more
>important, regards the installation of ldm-mcidas.  We have followed
>the directions on the Web Site to the letter, but do not get a
>'configure' script nor do we get include or src paths added.  Is there
>a problem in the tar.Z file?

I checked our FTP logs and see that you downloaded a binary distribution
of ldm-mcidas:

Site                        Binary Distribution Date  OS
---------------------------+-------------------------+-------------------------
bergeron.snr.missouri.edu   Mon Jul 10 16:39:07 2000  Solaris SPARC 5.7 (7.6.3)
bergeron.snr.missouri.edu   Wed Aug  9 15:31:33 2000  Solaris SPARC 5.7 (7.6.4)
bergeron.snr.missouri.edu   Wed Aug  9 15:38:47 2000  Solaris SPARC 5.7 (7.6.4)
bergeron.snr.missouri.edu   Wed Aug  9 15:58:34 2000  Solaris SPARC 5.7 (7.6.4)

There is no src directory in a binary distribution; there doesn't need
to be since you don't have to build the decoders.  There will, however,
be bin, etc, lib, and man directories.

The sequence for grabbing and installing the ldm-mcidas binary
distribution follows:

<login as 'ldm'>
cd ~
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user: anonymous>
  <pass: address@hidden>
  cd pub/binary/sunos_5.7-sparc
  binary
  get ldm-mcidas.tar.Z
  quit

zcat ldm-mcidas.tar.Z | tar xvf -

This will create the directory ~ldm/ldm-mcidas-7.6.4.  It will contain
the subdirectories bin, etc, lib, and man.

I suggest that you then:

mkdir decoders             (if it doesn't already exist)
cd ldm-mcidas-7.6.4/bin
cp area2png lwtoa3 nldn2md nids2area ~/decoders
cp pnga2area proftomd batch.k uwgrid.sh ~/decoders

cd ~
<edit ~ldm/.cshrc and make sure that the ~ldm/decoders directory is in
your PATH (if you havn't already done so)>
source ~/.cshrc
rehash

cd decoders
<edit batch.k and modify MCHOME to match your McIDAS-X installation HOME
directory>

cd ~/etc
<edit pqact.conf and add the desired entry/entries for pnga2area decoding
of Unidata-Wisconsin imagery>

Also, you should:

cd ~/ldm-mcidas-7.6.4/etc
chmod 664 ROUTE.SYS SYSKEY.TAB
cp ROUTE.SYS SYSKEY.TAB image_file_data_directory

'image_file_data_directory' is the path of the directory into which
you want to decode your images.  It _must_ be readable and writable
by the users 'ldm', 'mcidas', and 'mcadde' and readable by world.

If you do not have Unidata McIDAS-X installed on this machine and you
plan to not install it in the future, you you should:

cd ~/ldm-mcidas-7.6.4/etc
cp SATANNOT SATBAND ~/etc

If you want to use the McIDAS file routing table for pnga2area output
file naming (and McIDAS ROUTE PostProcess BATCH file invocation), your
pqact.conf entry will look like:

# Unidata-Wisconsin PNG compressed Products
#              \1  \2   \3          \4      \5    \6     \7
#           Qx pd anum SAT         BAND    RES CCYYMMDD HHMM
# pnga2area Q0 CF 0015 GOES-10_SND UNKBAND 1km 20000525 2000

# CIMSS and UW Products decoded into AREA files using McIDAS routing table
MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -a etc/SATANNOT -b etc/SATBAND
        -d image_file_data_directory -r \1,\2

(mind that you have tabs where needed:  the white space between MCIDAS and
^pnga2area is a tab; the white spaces before and after PIPE are tabs;
the white space before pnga2area is a tab; the white space before '-d'
is a tab).

The elements you may well change in this entry are the location of the
files SATANNOT and SATBAND, and the location for decoded image files,
image_file_data_directory.

If you do have McIDAS-X installed, and it is installed under
/home/mcidas, then there is no need to include the '-a etc/SATANNOT'
and '-b etc/SATBAND' flags above (nor was there a need to copy these
files to the ~ldm/etc directory).  If McIDAS-X is not installed, or is
not installed in /home/mcidas, then you should include the '-a' and
'-b' flags above.

If you are not planning on using McIDAS-X, for instance you may be only
running GEMPAK/GARP, you can file the images directly into a directory
hierarchy and naming scheme that GEMPAK/GARP understands.  The form
that this filing takes will depend on how you setup your GEMPAK/GARP
data directories.  I can go into this in more detail in a separate
email if you choose this option.

>Thanks.

Please let me know if the above is not clear, of if you have other
problems.