20000912: PNG/ldm-mcidas at Plymouth State

>From: Jim Koermer <address@hidden>

Jim,

>About two weeks ago, I stopped receiving mcidas GOES area files and I
>sent out a message to the ldm-users mail list, where I found out that my
>upstream site had to still be requesting the delta encoded data for me
>to get it.

I saw that exchange.

>So, I thought they had made the change and that was the
>reason that I stopped getting the GOES area files, even though I was
>getting other mcidas data. Since it was a weekend and I wasn't sure
>about when my upstream site could change anything, I downloades the
>latest ldm-mcidas binaries, changed my pqact.conf file. When I restarted
>ldm, I immediately started getting the area files again and thought that
>I was home free.

Right, I thought you were as well.

>However, because of some data problems a few days ago, I started looking
>closely at my ldm logs and discovered that I was ingesting the delta
>encoded obs, but not the png encoded files.

So, when you added the pnga2area action in pqact.conf, you did not comment
out the LWTOA3 action?

>Here is an entry, showing the problem:
>
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: pipe_dbufput:
>/home/ldm/ldm-mcidas/bin/pnga2area-d/datt1/mcidas-rpc,anum write error
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: pipe_prodput: trying again
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: pbuf_flush (4) write: Broken pipe
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: pipe_dbufput:
>/home/ldm/ldm-mcidas/bin/pnga2area-d/datt1/mcidas-rpc,anum write error
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: child 12028 exited with status
>255
>Sep 12 00:11:03 mammatus pqact[34000]: child 23290 exited with status
>255

All this is telling us is that pnga2area is exiting before reading
the entire product from the LDM.  This could be due to a number of
different causes.

>I suspect a number of possibilities, but it could be something else.
>Here are my thoughts:
>
>1) I need to comment out the lwtoarea stuff in pqact.conf, i.e. both
>processes are trying to write to the same file.

This might be the case, but it might not be as well.  The question would
be how fast the PNG compressed files came in after the delta encoded ones.
Your comment tells me that you are using McIDAS routing table concepts
for the PNG compressed images; is this true?

>2) I'm using an old version of mcidas (7.1) on my ingest system (we
>don't run mcidas on that system anymore). Does ldm-mcidas care?

No, ldm-mcidas does not care what version of McIDAS you may or may
not be running.  These decoders are running at a number of sites that
don't run McIDAS at all, so versionitis should not be the culprit.

>I'd appreciate any other suggestions to point me in the right direction.

Since I am assuming that you are using McIDAS routing table concepts
for the output file naming (specified the -d and -r flags on the
pnga2area command line in pqact.conf), I would suggest that you:

o how did you specify the location of SATANNOT and SATBAND on the
  pnga2area pqact.conf command?  These are specified with the
  '-a' and '-b' flags for pnga2area.  These flags are only not needed
  if McIDAS-X is:

  o intalled on the LDM machine
  o is installed in /home/mcidas
  o /home/mcidas/data is readable by the user running the LDM

o make sure that the McIDAS routing table is readable/writable by the
  user running your LDM

o make sure that the McIDAS system key table is readable/writable
  by the user running the LDM

o look at the log output from pnga2area to see what it is telling you
  (presumably pnga2area is actually being kicked off and it is
  exiting prematurely).  Turn verbose logging on for pnga2area
  (-vx options)

Let me know what the log output for pnga2area is.  This should tell us
what is wrong.

Tom