20000914: help building ldm-mcidas-7.6.4 on IRIX 6.2

>From: "Neil R. Smith" <address@hidden>

Neil,

>Well, yes. I did indeed wait until almost the last possible moment.

It is pretty close, yes!

>I'm building from source on coriolis.met.tamu.edu, SGI IRIX 6.2
>I'm using -o32 because all the other stuff was built that way.
>My mcidas is verion 7.1.

This is a potential problem.  I am not sure if 7.1 had all of the entry
points that are needed for linking.  There were a LOT of changes made
between 7.1 and 7.6 including a number related to Y2K issues.

Are you not able to use the 6.5 binaries that I made available?  We
chatted about this here in the office earlier (another site; similar
problem) and think that there may be a chance that the the 6.5 binaries
will work (but we havn't tested this).

>The make fails in the decode dir. on f77 of nids2area.

(omitting a lot of output and cutting to the chase)

>       /bin/f77 -o32 -O -Wl,-woff,84 -Wl,-woff,85  alarm.o nids2area.o mcmain.
> o wsiinput.o \
>               csubs.o udalloc.o \
>               -L/unidata/mcidas/lib -lmcidas -L/usr/local/ldm/lib -lldm -lX11
>  ../port/misc/libudport.a -L/unidata/ldm/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf -L../libpng -lpn
> g -L../zlib -lz    -lm  -o nids2area \
>           || (rm -f nids2area; exit 1)
>ld: ERROR 33: Unresolved text symbol "mccydtoiyd_" -- 1st referenced by nids2a
> rea.o.
>ld: INFO 152: Output file removed because of error.
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)

The Unresolved symbol mccydtoiyd_ is one that is in McIDAS-X versions newer
than 7.1; it was new code added for Y2K reasons.  This means that you will
not be able to link any of the ldm-mcidas routines that need entry points
in libmcidas.a.  But all may not be lost yet.

I need to know if you using nids2area or any other ldm-mcidas decoder like
nldn2md or proftomd.  If yes, you can continue to use the ones you
already have.  This means that all you need from the ldm-mcidas build
is pnga2area.  The good news is that I _think_ that this module does not
use anything from the McIDAS library!

So, return to your ldm-mcidas build attempt and cd to the decode directory
and run:

make pnga2area

If this succeeds, then run:

make area2png
make pnga2area.test

If these work, then you have a functioning pnga2area decoder and you
can press it into service in your LDM's pqact.conf file.

If you get to this point, then _assuming you are using the McIDAS routing
table for output AREA file naming purposes_, your pqact.conf entry should
look something like:

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        decoders/pnga2area -v
        -a /usr/local/ldm/etc/SATANNOT -b /usr/local/ldm/etc/SATBAND
        -d /data/mcidas -r \1,\2

This action assumes:

o the LDM is installed under /usr/local/ldm
o you created a directory /usr/local/ldm/decoders and put it in the PATH
  of the user 'ldm'
o you copied pnga2area to /usr/local/ldm/decoders
o you copied SATANNOT and SATBAND from the src/decode directory of the
  ldm-mcidas distribution to /usr/local/ldm/etc
o your output data directory is /data/mcidas; simply change this to
  match your setup and things will work

Please let me know if this works for you.

Tom Yoksas