20010727: binary ldm-mcidas decoders for Linux (cont.)

>From: Wayne Bresky <address@hidden>

Wayne,

>What is the purpose of pqactHUP?

The pqactHUP action for the script ldmadmin sends a HUP signal to the
LDM routine pqact.  This tells pqact to reread its configuration file,
pqact.conf.  This allows you to make changes to pqact.conf and then make
them active without stopping and restarting the LDM.

>What syntax do I use.

ldmadmin pqactHUP

Again, this is done after verifying that there are no errors reported from
an:

ldmadmin pqactcheck

>Also, I am
>getting the error hupsyslog: couldn't open /var/run/syslogd.pid.   I
>should point out that there isn't a var partition on the disk.  Should
>I be concerned about this?

This does not sound correct.  You should have a / partition at least.
/var gets created in / if there is no /var partition.  I would be concerned
about this.  I am assuming that you are doing this on a RedHat 7.1 Linux
system.  If not please correct me.  On our RedHat 7.1 Linux system, the
contents of /var look like:

(imogene:ldm) ls /var
arpwatch  ftp       lib    log       named  preserve  state  yp
cache     gdm       local  mail      nis    run       tmp
db        kerberos  lock   mars_nwe  opt    spool     www

And, /var/run looks like:

(imogene:ldm) 3 % ls /var/run
atd.pid    identd.pid   netreport  random-seed   syslogd.pid
crond.pid  klogd.pid    news       runlevel.dir  utmp
gdm.pid    lpd.printer  phhttpd    sendmail.pid  xinetd.pid
gpm.pid    mysqld       pvm3       sudo

Please let me know if the machine you are configuring is not a Linux
box.  I will be in the office for another 30 minutes, and I will be
reading email all weekend from home since I will be doing development
tonight/tomorrow and Sunday.

Tom