20021018: Proftomd hanging on RedHat 8.0 (cont.)

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>Just did what you told me...dmsyn.k hung so I did a kill -ABRT on it.
>Dunno where the log is...don't have time to find it now. I did this in
>/home/ldm, so maybe it is there?

One thing to note.  You don't have to shut down XCD decoding entirely
to stop one or more decoders.  Instead of editing ldmd.conf and
commenting out the 'exec   xcd_run MONITOR' line, do the following:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
decinfo.k SET DMSFC INACTIVE

This will tell the XCD supervisory routine, startxcd.k (the routine
that gets started by the 'exec  xcd_run MONITOR' invocation) to not
start/restart dmsyn.k.

All of the McIDAS XCD data monitors work like this, and decoders are
sub processes of the data monitors.  You can turn on or off any data
monitor as a whole or any decoder that is a sub process of a data
monitor individually.  Given this, you can simple leave the 'exec
xcd_run MONITOR' execution in ldmd.conf and leave the LDM running.

To see what data monitors and decoders are active, do the following:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
decinfo.k LIST

Tom