20021122: running RSMAS IMGLIST/IMGCOPY scripts from 'mcidas' account (cont.)

>From: Angel Li <address@hidden>

Hi Angel,

>Everything has been running great after dealing with some file permission
>problems.

Sounds good!

>From now on the account mcidas will run all mcidas-type jobs.

Since the configuration of McIDAS is a pain for most people (new, unusual
concepts to become familiar with, etc.), I have always felt that it was
best to isolate the package.  This does not mean that other users can't
take advantage of its capabilities, however.  I provide a couple of example
Bourne shell scripts in the distribution that I designed to be used
to run McIDAS things from outside of a McIDAS environment by any user
(except root).

>A quick question, which ingester deals with the nexrad imagery? I would
>like to see what McIDAS produces for radar imagery.

There are two different IDD feeds with NEXRAD data: NNEXRAD and FNEXRAD.
The NNEXRAD feed contains the Level III products that come across NOAAPORT,
and the FNEXRAD feed contains a floating subset of these products along
with composites we create from the Level III images.  The composites
that are available are a 1 km national base reflectivity product (big),
a 2 km 1 hour precip total product, a 4 km storm total precip product,
and a 1 km floater base reflectivity product.

The NEXRAD Level III products need no decoder.  You ingest them using
the LDM, and are advised to store them in a hierarchical directory
structure something like:

/ldm/data/nexrad/\ID/\TYPE/files

Here \ID represents the NEXRAD station ID (e.g. MIA, FTG, etc.), and
\TYPE represents the type of product (e.g., N0R, N1R, ... N0V, etc.).
McIDAS can read the NEXRAD Level III products straight off.  The only
job is to create an ADDE dataset that can locate the files.

The FNEXRAD images are sent PNG compressed.  There are two types of
images sent this way: PNG compressed GINI images and PNG compressed AREA
images.  The ldm-mcidas decoder pngg2gini handles the PNG compressed
GINI images, and pnga2area handles the PNG compressed AREA images.
Once an ADDE dataset has to be created for the uncompressed images
McIDAS will be able to use them.

I can help you setup ingestion/decoding/scouring of any of these
images and get you going in McIDAS.  Please let me know if you
are interested.

>Thanks for all you've done.

No worries.

>Hopefully I won't break anything in the future
>and with the new setup, updating mcidas won't be such a pain.

With McIDAS now cleanly separated from the LDM and with the ldm-mcidas
decoders now moved to a directory that is not a link to a current LDM
distribution directory, it should be much easier to install new LDM,
ldm-mcidas, and McIDAS distributions.  This was the main reason for
the movement of stuff in the LDM account.

Tom