20040210: ldm-mcidas upgrade on bergeron (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Pat,

I logged onto bergeron yesterday evening and did the following:

- downloaded and installed the most recent ldm-mcidas binary distribution
  for Sun Solaris SPARC 5.8

- made some changes to ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf entries

The changes I made to the pqact.conf entries were basically to:

- make all pnga2area invocations consistent in logging (log to
  ~ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log)

- add entries to process the new Wildfire ABBA images

- changed the time selector in the header regular expression to
  process all Unidata-Wisconsin (IDD feedtype UNIWISC aka MCIDAS)
  images (change Q1 to Q. for those images that now have both Q1
  (H+00 to H+15) and Q3 (H+30 to H+45) indicators

From what I see in the ~ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/... directories,
you are now correctly decoding the half-hourly images in the
UNIWISC feed.

I have several questions/observations for you:

- I note that some of the files that are being decoded have non-standard
  names.  Examples of this are the 6 km National N0R composite image,
  the 10 km National RCM mosaic images, and the 1 km Regional N0R
  composite images:

# NEXRCOMP 6 km National BREF mosaic
FNEXRAD ^pnga2area Q5 (RL) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -vl /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        /res/met/data/ldm/gempak/nexrad/NEXRCOMP/6km/\4/\6_\7

# NEXRCOMP 10 km National RCM mosaic
FNEXRAD ^pnga2area Q5 (RN) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        /res/met/data/ldm/gempak/nexrad/NEXRCOMP/10km/\4/\6_\7

# NEXRCOMP 1 km Regional BREF mosaic
FNEXRAD ^pnga2area Q5 (RO) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        /res/met/data/ldm/gempak/nexrad/NEXRCOMP/1km/\4/\6_\7

  Most sites name the files using the convention BREF_ccyymmdd_hhmm;
  you are naming yours ccyymmdd_hhmm.  This is no big deal as long
  as you have GEMPAK (GARP and/or NMAP2) setup to handle the
  names.  I just wanted to bring this to your attention to see if
  perhaps you were decoding images that you are not even using.

- there are LOTS of dcgrib errors in ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  Are you
  aware of these?

- you have a very old version of McIDAS loaded, and you are running
  McIDAS-XCD decoders, but they are not producing any output.  If
  you are not using McIDAS at all anymore, it would be a good idea
  to comment out the actions in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf and ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
  that run the XCD decoding processes.  This will save compute cycles
  on bergeron.

  Alternatively, McIDAS could be upgraded and XCD decoding setup so
  that you would have a viable environment.

  Which alternative would you prefer?

- you are not rotating the ldm-mcidas log file, and it is getting
  pretty big:

I am LDM =>ls -alt logs/ldm-mcidas.log
-rw-rw-r--   1 ldm      18842887 Feb 10 11:16 logs/ldm-mcidas.log

  I took the liberty of uncommenting an existing entry into your crontab
  file that rotates this log file keeping the most recent 4.

Please let me know if you see anything amiss with the current
UNIWISC image decoding.