20040210: ldm-mcidas upgrade on bergeron (cont.)

>From: "Market, Patrick S." <address@hidden>

Hi Pat,

re: ldm-mcidas upgrade
>Thank you very much, Tom.  This is a huge help.

No worries.

>I'll tuck my responses in below.

OK.  My responses to questions will follow your questions.

re: looks like the half-hourly images are now being correctly decoded

You are welcome.

re: non-standard naming for certain images

If things are working for you, then there is no reason to change anything.
I was just concerned that bergeron was doing some decoding work that
was not being used.

re: dcgrib errors in ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

The errors look like:

Feb 10 06:00:13 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]:  Error writing grid
data:  -11
Feb 10 06:00:13 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]: 852 skipped 040210/0000
        Grid ID  240   7 100   0 200
Feb 10 06:00:14 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]:  Error writing grid
data:  -11
Feb 10 06:00:14 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]: 853 skipped 040210/0000
        Grid ID  240  52 100   3 182
Feb 10 06:00:14 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]:  Error writing grid
data:  -11
Feb 10 06:00:14 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]: 854 skipped 040210/0000
        Grid ID  240  52 100   2 188
Feb 10 06:00:14 bergeron.snr.missouri.edu dcgrib[9174]:  Error writing grid
data:  -11

The solution is most likely to use dcgrib2, but I am not the GEMPAK
expert here, Steve Chiswell is.

re: old version of McIDAS loaded and trying to run XCD decoding

The entries are:

~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf:
exec    "xcd_run MONITOR"

~ldm/etc/pqact.conf:
DDPLUS|IDS    ^.*     PIPE
       xcd_run DDS
HRS   ^.*     PIPE
      xcd_run HRS

OK.  Given this I commented out the ldmd.conf and pqact.conf entries for
McIDAS-XCD.  I then stopped and tried to restart your LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin start

The 'ldmadmin start' failed with the message that the LDM queue did
not exist, and, indeed, it did not:

I am LDM =>ls /res/met/data/ldm
app        ddp        difax      forecasts  fronts     gempak     grids
logs       mcidas     nldn       stl        surface    upperair

This was WEIRD since the LDM was running OK when I stopped it!!

Anyway, I remade the queue and restarted the LDM:

I am LDM =>ldmadmin mkqueue
I am LDM =>ldmadmin start
Checking the pqact(1) configuration-file "/usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf"...
/usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.conf is syntactically correct
Starting the LDM server...

It is now running without the McIDAS-XCD decoding, so you should save
some CPU cycles.

re: you are now rotating the ldm-mcidas log files

re: Please let me know if you see anything amiss with the current
UNIWISC image decoding.

No worries.

>From address@hidden Thu Feb 12 07:04:15 2004

Tom:

Thanks again.  Bergeron is 1-2 years from retirement (from hard labor
anyway), so any strain that can be taken off is welcome.  I will write
to Steve about dcgrib2.

I, too, have experienced that strangeness with stopping/starting the
ldm.  Of course it's fixed with the outdated
stop-clean-delqueue-mkqueue-start approach, but I thought that was
supposed to be a thing of the past.  No bother.  A few extra keystrokes
can't kill me.

Regards,
Pat

Dr. Patrick S. Market
Dept. of Soil, Environ. & Atmospheric Sci.
University of Missouri-Columbia
Columbia, MO  65211
Voice: 573-882-1496