20050422: Problem with LDM-McIDAS

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Hi Gilbert,

>What would cause this in the ldmd.conf error log:
>
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: pbuf_flush (5) write: Broken pipe
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: pipe_put:
>-closedecoders/proftomd-vllogs/ldm-mcidas.profiler.log-d/home/data/mcidas-vU6W
> P$
>write error
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: pipe_prodput: trying again
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: pbuf_flush (5) write: Broken pipe
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: pipe_put:
>-closedecoders/proftomd-vllogs/ldm-mcidas.profiler.log-d/home/data/mcidas-vU6W
> P$
>write error
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: child 503 exited with status 1
>Apr 22 15:49:31 climate pqact[32292]: child 505 exited with status 1

This is most likely caused by one of two things:

- the output MD file into which proftomd wants to write exists and is
  not writable by the user attempting the write ('ldm')

- more likey, the McIDAS files needed for the decoder do not exist, or
  are not readable/viable in the directory in which the decoder wants
  to write its output

I am betting that the problem is the second bullet.  The solution (if this
is the problem) is to copy the needed files to the output directory:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
cp data/SCHEMA /home/data/mcidas         <- the file most probably missing/bad
cp data/SYSKEY.TAB /home/data/mcidas     <- copy may not be needed if file is OK
cp workdata/ROUTE.SYS /home/data/mcidas  <- copy may not be needed if file is OK
cd /home/data/mcidas
chmod 666 SCHEMA SYSKEY.TAB ROUTE.SYS

After these changes the decoder should start working _if_ the output MD
file does not already exist (if it already exists, it may be full or
not writable by 'ldm').

>The pqact entry for it seems correct:
>
>FSL2    ^FSL\.NetCDF\.NOAAnet\.windprofiler\.06min
>        PIPE
>        -close decoders/proftomd -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.profiler.log
>        -d /home/data/mcidas -v U6 WPR6 91

No problems with this entry.

>I am helping out COD because they are having problems with this, and I am
>donating a little time to get this fixed. I can verify that in
>/home/data/mcidas, the files are getting written to, and file sizes are
>normal. The MDXX008* files are fine and the pqact entry generates no
>errors.

So, you are saying that the hourly summary profiler data is being decoded
correctly, but the 6 minute profiler data is not?

>I am wondering if they didn't include something in a McIDAS config
>file?

Hmm...  if hourly summary decoding is OK, it should mean that the copies
of SCHEMA, SYSKEY.TAB, and ROUTE.SYS in /home/mcidas/data are OK.  If
this is the case, the example copies I listed above should not be needed.

Let's see if the schema for the 6 minute profiler data is correctly included
in /home/data/mcidas/SCHEMA:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd workdata
redirect.k ADD SCHEMA \"/home/data/mcidas
lsche.k WPR6

The listing should look like:

/home/mcidas/workdata% lsche.k WPR6

NAME: WPR6  VERSION:  2  DATE: 1998338  TEXTID: "6-MIN WIND PROFILER UPPER AIR D