20060106: Converting MCIDAS images to GEMPAK format for Garp (cont.)

>From: Nancy Selover <address@hidden>

Hi Nancy,

re: example image(s) that are causing problems

>Here is the 05072600_ir.are file.  I ftped the files from
>atmo.arizona.edu - Mike Leuthold's server.

OK.  I verified that the image you sent was directly displayable
by McIDAS -- it is as you said an uncompressed image in McIDA AREA
file format.  Because of this, pnga2area is not needed to uncompress
it.

>He said they could be read
>by gempak/garp/nsat, but I'm not sure how to do that either.  Each day's
>files were tarred, and I untarred them.

Since there is nothing wrong with the image you sent, and assuming
that all of the images you are trying to use in Garp are OK, the
error you are seeing must be related to Garp, not the ldm-mcidas
routine pnga2area.

Chiz will take over from here...