[ldmMcidas #KQU-331507]: building ldm-mcidas' pnga2area on MacOS-X

Hi Paul,

Chiz sent your email along to me...

re:
> Hi, I'm partway through a McIDAS OS X 10.4 build.  It first failed upon
> the McIDAS-X installation when I failed to define where g77 was located.
> That's fixed now, but now I find an error that I can't interpret.  The
> relevant part of the makelog is shown below (after fixing the $PATH so it
> could find g77).  Any help would be appreciated.  g77 is the only Fortran
> compiler I have right now, so F90 compilations are being skipped I gather.
> Do I need to get g95 or other to complete the installation properly?

You don't have to build McIDAS-X if all you want out of the ldm-mcidas
package is a pnga2area binary for MacOS-X.  See below for details.

> Incidentally, I'm not interested in installing McIDAS for its own sake,

Tis a pity ;-)

> per se, but am interested in the png2area decoders so that I can process
> imagery in gempak; I'm getting failures in decoding the MCIDAS files.
> Otherwise, the gempak and LDM installs ended up going fine on this box
> under OS X 10.4, by the way, thanks for the earlier tips.

Here goes:  Here is what to do for a partial build of ldm-mcidas:

1) download the 3.6.1 version of netCDF:

<as 'ldm'>
setenv CC gcc
setenv CFLAGS -O
setenv CPPFLAGS '-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
setenv CPP_LDM -I/Users/ldm/include
setenv LD_LDM '-L/Users/ldm/lib -lldm'
setenv CPP_MCIDAS /Users/mcidas/inc
setenv LD_MCIDAS '-L/Users/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
setenv CPP_NETCDF=/Users/ldm/netcdf/include
setenv LD_NETCDF '-L/Users/ldm/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf'
setenv LD_X11 '-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11'
setenv FC /usr/bin/g77

Note that the definitions for CPP_MCIDAS, LD_MCIDAS, and FC can point to
non-existent things.

cd ~
mkdir netcdf
cd netcdf
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/netcdf
  binary
  get netcdf-3.6.1.tar.gz
  quit

tar xvzf netcdf-3.6.1.tar.gz

cd netcdf-3.6.1/src
./configure
make
make install
cd ~/netcdf
ln -s netcdf3.6.1 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .

cd ~/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-2004/src
./configure
make
-- failure, but not to worry

cd decode
make pnga2area
./pnga2area        <- just to make sure that it runs

cp pnga2area ~/decoders

So, you now have a 'pnga2area' decoder in your /Users/ldm/decoders
directory.  You should be able to quickly determine if this executable
works for you... just setup your LDM to ingest any/all of the
UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS), FNEXRAD, or NIMAGE feeds; use the pqact.gempak_xxxxx
pattern-action files that specify decoding of the imagery using
pnga2area; and stop/restart your LDM.

Please let me know if the decoder is working for you now.

I have a favor to ask:

In the future, please remember to send questions to package-specific
support departments.  This helps us keep our inquiry tracking system
working with a minimum of effort/time.  To do this send emails to
support-<department>@unidata.ucar.edu.  For instance:

ldm-mcidas inquiries get sent to address@hidden
gempak inquiries get sent to address@hidden
ldm inquiries get sent to address@hidden
etc.

The full list of departments and corresponding emails can be found
on our web site at:

Topic-Specific Email Addresses
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/topics.jsp

Thanks in advance for helping us to minimize our user support overhead!!