[ldmMcidas #XGX-360555]: decoding FNEXRAD 1 km N0R composite images

Hi Elmer,

re:
> We have one more question for you,

Ready...

> thanks for all the help by the way.

No worries.  We're glad to help if/when we can.

> Our government overseer wants to know exactly where this feed is coming
> from, since they need to put it on a web site.  Here is what he said.
>
> I need to know *exactly* where the Unidata radar comes from. I was told
> that this is the actual Unisys product (access restricted), but your
> message indicated it's the same data on NOAAPort (free and clear). The
> reason I ask, is because we have web users who are begging us to restore
> the radar data on our website, and I want to be sure we can display it
> with no restriction.

The Unidata community gets radar products from the NOAAPORT broadcast
operated by the US NWS (NEXRAD Level III in NOAAPORT; Level II from the
NEXRAD2 data distribution system the NWS built using the Unidata LDM) and
from Pelmorex Media Inc, a Canadian company which supplies those few Canadian
radars that are included in the composites.  We (the Unidata Program Center of
UCAR) create composites like the 1 km N0R product using these ** freely
available **
radar products.  NB: the composites we produce are also freely available.

Even though it is not a requirement for use, we would appreciate using the
products give credit to the providers of the data:

US NOAA Weather Service (formerly know as the National Weather Service)
Pelmorex Media Inc
The Unidata Program Center/UCAR

Ticket ID: XGX-360555
Department: Support ldm-mcidas