[ldmMcidas #FNK-457904]: Persistent SATANNOT/SATBAND error message.

Hi David,

re:
> After about a week of learning the LDM structure, I feel that I can now
> ask intelligent questions!

:-)

re:
> I have inherited the management of an LDM system that has not been touched
> since June 2009.  It still works...but there is one persistent error message
> in the ldmd.log file:
>
> Feb 08 21:29:41 whistler pnga2area[12589] NOTE: Starting Up
> Feb 08 21:29:41 whistler pnga2area[12589] ERROR: Error: unable to find
> SATANNOT: No such file or directory
> Feb 08 21:29:41 whistler pnga2area[12589] ERROR: Error: unable to find
> SATBAND: No such file or directory
> Feb 08 21:29:41 whistler pnga2area[12589] NOTE: unPNG::   150168    613456
> 4.0851
> Feb 08 21:29:41 whistler pnga2area[12589] NOTE: Exiting
> Feb 08 21:29:50 whistler pnga2area[12595] NOTE: Starting Up
> Feb 08 21:29:50 whistler pnga2area[12595] ERROR: Error: unable to find
> SATANNOT: No such file or directory
> Feb 08 21:29:50 whistler pnga2area[12595] ERROR: Error: unable to find
> SATBAND: No such file or directory
> Feb 08 21:29:51 whistler pnga2area[12595] NOTE: unPNG::   861089   2439056
> 2.8325
> Feb 08 21:29:51 whistler pnga2area[12595] NOTE: Exiting

This is indicating that both of the following are true:

- you do not have McIDAS installed on your machine

  If you did, the ldm-mcidas decoder 'pnga2area' would be able to find SATANNOT
and
  SATBAND.

- whoever installed/setup the ldm-mcidas decoders on your system did not
  copy SATANNOT and SATBAND from the etc directory of the ldm-mcidas
  distribution to the ~ldm/etc directory

re:
> The ldm-mcidas.log file is free of these errors.

> Here is my issue.  We are currently having trouble viewing some of the
> satellite products (using garp), most notably the EAST-CONUS products.

The images that will get filed in the EAST-CONUS directory are from
the IDD NIMAGE feed which, in turn, come from the NOAAPort Satellite
Broadcast Network (SBN).  The warnings that you report above (note
they are warnings, not errors) relate to the images in the IDD
UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) datastream, so the problems viewing EAST-CONUS
images in Garp are not related to the pnga2area warnings.

re:
> There
> are copies of SATANNOT and SATBAND in the ~/etc/ directory (as well as
> copies of SATANNOT.old and SATBAND.old...I can't imagine those would
> be an issue).

Three things:

- having the SATANNOT.old and SATBAND.old copies in ~ldm/etc should
  have no effect on the pnga2area decoding

- I am puzzled about the pnga2area warning messages you are getting
  given your comment that SATANNOT and SATBAND are to be found in
  the ~ldm/etc directory.

  It may well be that the pattern-action file action(s) that you
  have that run the pnga2area decoder (uncompressor actually)
  do not tell 'pnga2area' to locate these files in the ~/etc
  directory.  A pattern-action file entry that would do this
  would look like the following (this is an example; the actual
  entry would likely be different on your system):

UNIWISC ^pnga2area Q. (U[^ACXY13]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (0.65)um (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -vl logs/ldm-mcidas.log
        -a etc/SATANNOT
        -b etc/SATBAND
        data/gempak/images/sat/\3/\5/VIS/VIS_\6_\7

  You can see from this example, that the '-a' flag tells 'pnga2area'
  where to find SATANNOT, and the '-b' flag tells 'pnga2area' where
  to find SATBAND.

re:
> After determining that the pnga2area file is making these calls, I found
> all of the pnga2area calls in the ~/etc/ directory (all of mine were in
> pqact.conf), and they all look syntactically correct...pointing to ~/etc/.

I am interpreting this to mean that your pqact.conf entries all have the
'-a' and '-b' flags for 'pnga2area' invocations.  Am I correct in this
assumption?  If yes, I am have no idea why your 'pnga2area' invocations
would be emitting warning messages like the ones you included above.

re:
> I figured that this support request was a last resort...and I'm now
> there!

Welcome! :-)

re:
> Again, as a new LDM user, I'm not sure if I have provided enough information
> to get started.  Please let me know if you require more information, or if I
> have even contacted the correct address!  Any help or pointers would be much
> appreciated...thanks!

What would be useful at this point is you sending us your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
and ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf files (send the files, please don't cut and past
their contents into your reply).

One last comment: I really do think that the problem you are seeing in
Garp is _not_ related to the 'pnga2area' problems you reported.  I should
be able to fully convince myself of this view after looking at your
ldmd.conf and pqact.conf files.

Ticket ID: FNK-457904
Department: Support ldm-mcidas