19990121: Findeisen at UNI

>From: address@hidden

Alan-

>       Thanks for helping to bring Findeisen
>back up.

No problem.

>Drew brought it over to my office
>yesterday.  I wasn't here when he booted it up
>but he said that the ldm started up on bootup;
>is that correct??  I don't need to do ldmadmin start
>after bootup??

Yes, I figured out how to set it up to have the LDM automatically
restart upon bootup.  One thing to note is that when it reboots,
the LDM queue is deleted and recreated (to avoid problems if
the queue is corrupted).  This causes the last hour's worth of
data to be sent to findeisen. When I rebooted the system last week,
Melanie called and said the flood of data bogged down the UNI
network. We can take the deleting/remaking of the queue out
of the startup script if this is a problem.  Then you will just
have to make sure there were no problems with the queue and that
the LDM restarted.

>In any case, I've been running
>ldmadmin watch since yesterday and only NLDN data
>appears to be coming in.  Even at that, GARP
>wouldn't display the new data yesterday, but is
>allowing its display this morning.  Please take a
>look at things if you have the chance; I haven't
>yet changed any of the passwords.  Thanks.

I logged on to your system and found that your network connection
is really bad beyond Iowa.  At first I couldn't even get to findeisen.
Once I got on, I found that the feed to Iowa State was not working.
(this is probably why you only saw NLDN data coming in).
It appears that their LDM system is down.  You should probably
contact Geof Underwood at IA State and see what's up.  In the
mean time, I set findeisen up to feed from UW-Madison and that
works on and off.  When the network connection gets bad, the connection
is broken and restarted.  So you will probably see some gaps in the
data.  Once you can get IA State to feed you, you should switch back
over to them.  In your ~ldm/etc directory, there are three files:

ldmd.conf
ldmd.homer.geol.iastate.edu
ldmd.sunset.meteor.wisc.edu

The latter two have the correct configurations for connecting to
the hosts listed (plus the connection to redwood for NLDN data).
The ldmd.conf file is the one that is used by the LDM.  Right now
it is a copy of ldmd.sunset.meteor.wisc.edu.  Once you find
that IA State can feed you again (talk to Geof and then try:
notifyme -vl - -h homer.geol.iastate.edu), you should
copy ldmd.homer.geol.iastate.edu over to ldmd.conf and then
stop/restart the ldm (logged in as user ldm):

cd ~ldm/etc
cp ldmd.homer.geol.iastate.edu ldmd.conf
ldmadmin stop
ps aux | grep ldm    - keep doing this until all rpc.ldmd processes are gone
ldmadmin start

Until your network connection gets better and until IA State is back
in business, your feed might not be so hot and data will be splotchy.

Don