19990217: your mail

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

Mark-

>On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Unidata Support wrote:
>
>> >1.  Our surface data for Wxp seems to be coming in but the files are
>> >writing just the headers.
>> >
>> >$ cat ~/data/wxp/surface/99020612.cvt
>> >WXPSFC
>> >1200Z  6 FEB 99
>
>I did notice that when I restart the ldm it will correct this problem
>for a while.  Still, I have no idea why it is occuring.

Unidata does not support WXP - it is a community supported package
which means questions about WXP problems should be sent to the WXP users.
Your best bet would be to send a message to the address@hidden
mail list and ask about your problem.  You need to be subscribed to
the list before you can post to it.  You can subscribe from our
mailing list page:

You should know the version of WXP you are running (beta level) and
explain the problem you are seeing in as much detail as possible.

>> >Occasionally one or two will actually have some data but generally they
>> >are empty.
>>
>> Sounds like the pipe between the LDM and the WXP convert process is
>> dying prematurely.  Are you seeing "broken pipe" errors in your ldmd.log
>> file?
>
>Yes, there are many "broken pipe" errors:
>
>Feb 17 21:48:58 cirrus pqact[3408]: child 19103 exited with status 127
>Feb 17 21:48:59 cirrus pqact[3408]: pbuf_flush (5) write: Broken pipe
>Feb 17 21:48:59 cirrus pqact[3408]: pipe_dbufput:
>-closenids2area-d/usr/local/ldm/data/mcidas/xdata9017JANDIALPROD=S29904
>8214500DEV=CCN write error
>
>Feb 17 21:49:12 cirrus pqact[3408]: pipe_dbufput: xcd_runDDS write error
>Feb 17 21:49:12 cirrus pqact[3408]: pipe_prodput: trying again
>Feb 17 21:49:12 cirrus pqact[3408]: pbuf_flush (11) write: Broken pipe

data conversion for WXP is not run from the LDM's pqact.conf.  It is usually
a cron script run to convert the data at specific times.  I suggest you run
your conversion program by hand and see what errors you are getting.
It might also be good to log the output from your cron entry in case
you run into problems in the future.

The broken pipes you are seeing above are coming from the LDM-McIDAS
nids2area routine and from the xcd_run action in pqact.conf. We have
seen the xcd_run error on other systems, especially when the ldm is
restarted using ldmfail.  We are looking into the cause and solutions.
Are you having any NIDS products decoded to AREA files by nids2area?

>> >2. Our AVN Difax products are not coming in.  We are receiving the bulk of
>
>> Please let us know if you find out from Alden that there has been a problem
>> in the AVN DIFAX product tranmission.
>
>The problem was ours.  They were coming in, I just wasn't putting them
>where they belong.

Glad to hear you solved the problem.

Don Murray