Re: 19990226: error in ldm functions

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "Frank Colby" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: error in ldm functions
>
> Dear Support Folks,
>
> Recently, I have started getting the following message emailed to my ldm
> account.  Is this normal to suddenly crop up, after weeks of not having
> this problem?
>
> I looked, and found that there was no such file.  Should such a file be
> automatically created, or is that the problem?  Is it something I should
> reboot to fix?  I admit to not being much of an expert with unix, so any
> ideas are welcome!
>

> Frank Colby
>
> ***********************************
> Your "cron" job on graupl
> bin/ldmadmin newlog
>
> produced the following output:
>
> hupsyslog: couldn't open /etc/syslog.pid

Frank,

Apparently, syslog has died on the system. You can check it by:
% ps -eaf | grep syslog
If your are running Solaris 5.6 then there is syslog patch that needs to
be installed.  For now you can restart the syslog process as root.
% /usr/sbin/syslogd
Then check for the syslog.pid file. Alse check out that hupsyslog works
without complaining. As an extreme measure you could reboot the machine.

Robb...