19990308: Re[2]:LDM

>From: Paul Sisson <address@hidden>

Paul, Mike, Luc-

I know we were just cc'd on this and don't really support the NWS, but a couple
of comments:

>Sorry Steve, This stuff is hidden by cobwebs...
>
>Not sure what rpc.ldmd does.  But if its not in our scripts...then its probably
>not necessary to run ldm-afos.

rpc.ldmd is THE ldm server.  If you don't have this running, you don't have
the LDM running.  Run "man rpc.ldmd" (if you have your MANPATH set correctly)
for a description of this command (or any other LDM process for that matter).

>"no processes available"
>I also seem to remember that if you do the mkqueue then just keep starting the
>ldm it eventually started.  Also I can run ldmadmin watch even though I don't
>use ldmadmin to start.

Under Red Hat Linux, I have seen the 'no processes available'  message
from an "ldmadmin start" when:

1) There is an error in the ldmd.conf file.  Check the ldmd.log file
(or ldmd.log.1, ldmd.log.2, etc) to see if there is an error reported.

2) The queue is corrupt.  In this case, you can do an 'ldmadmin delqueue'
and 'ldmadmin mkqueue'.  You need to do the delqueue before making
a new one unless this is the first time you are running mkqueue.

If it is neither of these, check for other errors in the ldmd.log files.

>I think something else we got was that the /dev/ttyS0 device file, for some
>reason, did not have the right permissions for the ldm to access it. So I
>modified it as user root.
>
>Paul
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     tty        4,  64 Mar  8 15:39 ttyS0
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  65 Jul 17  1994 ttyS1
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  66 Jul 17  1994 ttyS2
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  67 Jul 17  1994 ttyS3
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  68 Jul 17  1994 ttyS4
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  69 Jul 17  1994 ttyS5
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  70 Jul 17  1994 ttyS6
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  71 Jul 17  1994 ttyS7
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  72 Jul 17  1994 ttyS8
>crw-rw----   1 root     tty        4,  73 Jul 17  1994 ttyS9
>

>Mike and Paul,
>
>You both sent me similar scripts for starting (and killing LDM); thanks.  I've
>made more progress with these scripts than with any other suggestions I've
>received so far, but still having some problems. Hopefully, you might have som
>more ideas based on what's happening here:
>
>1) As I mentioned before, using 'ldmadmin start' just gives me the message "No
>processes available".  Many responses thought this meant I didn't have enough
>free swap space, but I checked and I've got 128mb free before I try to start
>ldm.

Check the answer above.

>2) With your "goldm' script Mike (which is very similar to the one Paul sent m
> e,
>only in addition you do run ldmadmin mkqueue to insure an ldm.pq file, and you
>also run hupsyslog and pqinstats), the three process start just fine. I guess
>since I am not using ldmadmin start I can't do an ldmadmin watch, so instead I
>use
>
>    pqutil -w /usr/local/ldm/dataldm.pq
>
>to see if any products are coming in.  None.  The message I keep getting in th
>afos_log file from pqing is "Expanding input buffer size to #####", where ####
>is a number which keeps growing and growing.  I assume this means it is
>recognizing a data feed, but pqact isn't processing it.  I checked to make sur
>my pqact.conf file is telling ldm to store data in directories that actually
>exist, and it looks OK.
>
>3) Do either of you know what 'rpc.ldmd' does?  It's not in your scripts, but
> it
>is something that 'ldmadmin start' runs.
>
>Thanks for any additional advice you can give.

Also, I talked to Robb Kambic who mentioned that he sent a message
about the 5.0.7 internal release that fixes several problems under
Linux.  If you are not using this, you should.  There were several
bugs in the ldmadmin that caused problems under Linux in particular
some related to how the 'ps' command works.

Don Murray

P.S. Hi to you and your family, Paul.  Steve, say hi to Steve Nogueira
for me.