Re: 19990414: Feeding *AFOS* text products from AWIPS into LDM

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Randy,

We call AWIPS, NOAAport, not to confuse you.  We use a system developed
at SSEC to inject the products into the LDM. Here's a URL:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/sdi/sdi.html

 I get the products out of AWIPS, over to our LDAD
>      server.  The come over as files with the afos pil as a name.  From
>      there I am running pqinsert and inserting them into LDM as feedtype
>      afos.
>
>      Is there a better way?

If you are doing the direct product insertion, pqinsert is the correct
program.

 I've tried using pqing (pqing -f afos -) and
>      piping the file to it.  That didn't work.

The pqing -f afos is expecting the stream to look like the raw afos stream
with the control chars, etc, not file structures.

  When I use pqinsert, there
>      is no seq number assigned and I seem to get spurious errors when files
>      are inserted that the product is already in the queue.

As a matter of fact, the SSEC system uses 999 for all the seq numbers.
The LDM ignores duplicate products, installed to cut down on network
congestion.

  It also
>      doesn't show the WMO header when I watch the queue.  I don't know if
>      this is significant.

This isn't significant as long as you can write the correct pqact entries
for the afos products.

>      Since AFOS is going away, we have to come up with a good scheme for
>      feeding these types of products into our LDM system.

There might be another alternative solution in a few months that will be
available to insert AWIPS into a LDM. There are 4 sites using the SSEC
system to feed the Unidata Internet Data Distribution system for over 5
months w/o any major problems.

Robb...