Re: Additional Question

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Tom Grzelak wrote:

> Let me ask you a quick question -> for each ".....Connection from
> ###.###.###.###" log item in ldmd.log, does that correspond to a brand new
> connection from a machine?

Yes

  I believe it does which leads to my next
> question, my logs have approximately 80 connections from
> weather.taft.pvt.k12.ct.us per day in them.  What could be the reason for
> having so many connections?

The latency builds up to over any hour, the network breaks the connection,
the connection is reset by the remote machine.

  Is there something wrong with
> weather.taft.pvt.k12.ct.us?

I bet the connections are due to network congestion late in the afternoon.
The NE is noted for this problem.  A solution would be to filter the
amount of data requested by taft. Here's the filter that could be
installed at taft ldmd.conf:

request WMO "(^[A-OQ-X])|(^[YZ].[^AHIJRU])"  <hostname>

  Should I contact the sysadmin about this?

Sure, they are probably getting data they don't need.

Robb...