Re: 19990422: LDM on SunOS 4.1.x

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hiya,

32M ram is small, it should at least be 64. The machine will work fine if
you are only going to get a subset of the NOAAport(AWIPS) data. Also, It
will be easy to overburden the cpu if one plans on running any decoders.

  The machine is a realtime data machine, so its reliability is
> a big key issue.  The realtime software creates a circular buffer that
> resides
> in 16M of the memory.

We recommend 64M just for the LDM, adding your 16M buffer will make
configuration harder.

 This brings up a question of the Perl scripts that LDM
> uses.  Do they use alot of memory or cpu resources?

No, they only administor the ldm. One shot deals low usuage of memory

Anything you can tell me
> about the SunOS 4.1.x problems and their frequency would help me out alot.

Most of our sites use Solaris OS, I believe that SunOS systems have higher
configuration/maintenance. I haven't answered any SunOS questions in
awhile so I'm not sure what problems you will run into. I do know that it
needs to be up to date in os patches.  The
preinstall/install/configuration instructions are on the LDM home page on
the web. We official support SunOS, but as I mentioned before your
installation would have to be scaled down because of limited resources.

Robb...