Re: 19990527: Lots of close_wait

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hiya,

Not really, the LDM responds to the state of the network.

 Is it feasible to send large data
>      files over the internet like this using ldm?

We have sent large files 100 megabytes in size. The only problem is that
the file must remain entirely in the LDM queue until the transfer is
completed. This can tie up the LDM queue and make the queue requirement
size larger.  The LDM splits large products into 16k sections that are
sent sequential until the complete product is sent.

 What happens to the data
>      that is being sent if the connection closes?  Does it pick up where it
>      left off, or does it resend.

The LDM can stand short outages in the connection without loosing it place
in sending a product.  But once the ~5 minute limit is reach, the
connection is broken and the LDM must resend the complete product again.

  ERH seems to be getting all of the files
>      we are sending.  But I am concerned about the reliability of our
>      server in this situation.

If the large products are broke into pieces, and a LDM connection breaks,
then it is more effiecent network usage to resend the smaller products
then a large product. If the current configuration is  acceptable, then
leave it.  If degradation starts to occur, maybe splitting the larger
products might be a better solution.

Robb...