Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:17:14 -0600
From: Russ Rew <address@hidden>
To: Dan Vietor <address@hidden>
Subject: HRS on NOAAPORT

Hi Dan,

In a message to the ldm-users mailing list back on 12 Jul 1999, you
wrote:

> Oh, one other thing.  Back on April 27th, NWS changed how it sent out
> HRS on NOAAPORT.  There are non-conforming characters trailing the GRIB
> products which can throw some decoders off.  For example a hexdump of
> end of product:
>
> before:
> 37 37 37 37 0D 0D 0A 03 01 0D 0D 0A
>
> now:
> 37 37 37 37 03 00 0D 0D 0A 03 01 0D 0D 0A

I was looking for some documentation of this change or the reason for
it, and I couldn't find anything.  For example, the NWS notices at

  http://www.nws.noaa.gov/oso/notices/notices.shtml

make no mention of it, as far as I can tell.  Do you know whether the
NWS ever announced this change or why it was made?  I would ask Chiz,
but he's on vacation right now ...

--Russ