19990830: XCD, LDM & Firewalls

>From: "Batson, Bryan" <address@hidden>

Bryan,

Since I didn't see a response to this on the email list, I decided that
it was probably a good idea to respond personally.

>Hopefully this is close to being "on-topic" for McIDAS users, particularly
>those with XCD. Those of us using the Alden satellite broadcast for HRS to
>feed to XCD are being forced to find an alternative source of data (as of
>10/31/99), and Alden is recommending an LDM/Internet Data Distribution (IDD)
>solution. This has brought up some security issues here.
>
>Specifically, is there anyone in the community that has experience running
>an LDM client that goes through a firewall to contact an LDM server to
>receive an IDD data stream?

We have several sites that do this.

>If so, we (JSC) would be interested in chatting with you.

There are typically two ways of doing this:

o have access through port 388 enabled by your network administrator

o have a machine that "sits" on both sides of the firewall

>Thanks,

I am sure that you are probably looking for more information.  If so,
please send your inquiry to address@hidden, and we will farm
it out to the appropriate person.

By the way, I seem to remember trying to convince you (and or Doris)
a couple of years ago that using an LDM for data transfers to/from
sites like Canaveral.