LDM/Noaaport GRIB (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:29:58 -0400
From: Roland Blanchard <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: LDM/Noaaport GRIB

I have analyzed the reprocessed FOS GRIB data (Alden HRS feed) and the
NOAAPORT/LDM GRIB data (LDM pqcat feed) and have made the following
observations.

After viewing the binary output of both GRIB bulletin feeds, I determined
that both ALDEN HRS and LDM
do not start the same at the beginning of the GRIB bulletin.

Alden HRS feed starts <SOH> followed by <NL> followed by the three byte
sequence number
followed by <NL> followed by TTiiaa NNNN ddhhmm.

LDM HRS feed starts <SOH> followed by <NL> followed by the three byte
sequence number
followed by a space character followed by <NL> followed by TTiiaa NNNN
ddhhmm.

The addition of a space character (hex 20) may be causing our decoder to
not properly recognize
the WMO header (TTiiaa NNNN ddhhmm).

At the end of the GRIB bulletin, I noticed another difference between each
feed.

Alden HRS feed ends with 7777 <NL> <ETX> two-byte checksum.

LDM HDS feed ends with 7777 <ETX> <NL> <ETX> two-byte checksum.

Each 7 in the 7777 has a hex value of 37.
The NL (newline) has a hex value of 0a.
The ETX code has a hex value of 03.

It is my understanding that the GRIB data is enveloped in a WMO header
structure. If this is true
then I do not understand why there is an extra <ETX> code.

Is this possibly part of the NOAAPORT data transmission format?

I have attached a sample listing of both the Alden HRS feed in a hexdump
format and the
LDM pqcat HDS feed in a hexdump listing. I deleted most of the data of the
GRIB bulletin
to show the format of the beginning and the end of each bulletin.

I hope this can be of help in determining the cause of the differences
between Alden HRS and LDM HDS.

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Roland