Re: awipsldm digest: December 02, 1999

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, The AWIPS LDM list digest wrote:

> Digest for AwipsLDM
> The AWIPS LDM list Digest for Thursday, December 02, 1999.
>
> 1. Frequent Unexpected Stoppages of LDM

> Subject: Frequent Unexpected Stoppages of LDM
> From: "Ken Waters" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:52:38
>
> We are having a problem with LDM stopping every few days or so on our LDAD.
>  What are some of the diagnostics I can do to determine why this keeps
> happening?
>
> I looked at our logs and found something like:
>
> Dec 01 10:29:39 ls1-ehu rpc.ldmd[16243]: child 16248 terminated by signal
> 11
>
> Followed by a series of "Interrupt"s and then finally an "Exiting" message
> from rpc.ldmd.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing these stoppages?  I looked
> at the Site Managers Guide and didn't find any clues.  Thanks.

Ken,

There are many things that could cause the LDM to just stop. Here's a
couple of things I would check:

- scan the ldmd.log for error messages
- remake the LDM queue
- make sure your disks don't periodically fill to capacity, check scour
- some other program interferring with the LDM, ie hogging the CPU
- put the LDM into verbose logging by in the LDM home dir:

% kill -USR2 `cat ldmd.pid`

- scan the ldmd.log for error messages  again

Read the ldmd man page for details about rotating LDM verbosity

Robb...