19991222: NLDN change

>From: address@hidden

Alan,

>       After I type in
>
>ps -eaf | grep pqact
>
>I get
>
>warning: '-' deprecated; use 'ps eaf', not 'ps -eaf'
>23007 p1 S 0:00 \_grep pqact USERNAME=HISTSIZE=1000
>HOSTNAME=findeisen.ea

OK, this tells me pretty much of what I needed to know.  The "'-' deprecated"
warning tips us off to you using a 2.0.x version Linux kernel such as
comes with RedHat 5.x Linux.

>If I then do
>
>kill -HUP 23007

The listing you got back was the process id for the 'grep' portion of
the command, not for 'pqact'.

>I get "No such process".  Is 23007 the wrong number to use?

No, this was the process ID of the 'grep pqact' invocation.

>I'm running Linux; not exactly sure which version,
>either 5.1 or 5.2.  Note that if I do 'ps eaf' instead
>of 'ps -eaf', I don't get the warning statement but
>the second statement is similar.

Right.  The Linux 2.2.x distributions (like RedHat 6.x) got away from
the deprecation nonsense that existed in versions 5.x and previous.

On Linux, you will need to do:

ps eafx | grep pqact

The change is the inclusion of the 'x' in the ps flags.  You should then
see process IDs for both a 'pqact' invocation and the 'grep pqact'
invocation.  The process ID you want is the one associated with 'pqact'.

Please let me know if this does not solve your problem.

Tom