Re: SIO Upgrade Status

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Larry The Weather Man Riddle wrote:

>       The v5.0.9 upgrade for meteora.ucsd.edu failed miserably.  Cause
>       is unknown.  We've reset everything back to where it was and have
>       restarted the ldm as previously configured.  Anyone (already in
>       our config files) who wants to feed from meteora should be safe
>       doing so until further notice.
>
>       We do not intend to make any more attempts at upgrading until the
>       first of next week (Tuesday, 18 Jan).  We will need someone from
>       UPC to hold our hand and walk us through this process.  Something
>       is definitely not right.
>
>       How many sites are running v5.0.9 on a DEC Alpha and what version
>       of DEC Unix/OSF1 are you running?  Do you remember what you did
>       (that isn't in the instructions) to get it to build/install?

Larry,

The source install of LDM v 5.0.9 needs to use a posix form of command
make because the default make doesn't move the libldm.a ( ldm library file
) to the ~ldm/lib directory and then other make instances can't file the
library and fail.  The simple solution is to use the posix form of make.
To make this as easy as possible, there is a file "make.alpha" in the ldm5
ftp directory, don't forget to use binary mode to transfer.  Also, rename
"make.alpha" to "make" and make sure the new make is the first one found
using the "which" command.  This will solve your problems.  Detail
instructions from a previous message are at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/ldm/3356

Robb...