Re: strange problem with file system full (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:09:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: strange problem with file system full

I've had a similar problem on our ldm system (ldm 5.0.8, Linux 2.0.36).
All I've been able to figure out is that the growth occurs somewhere in
the ~mcidas directory.  Likewise, our data is written to a separate file
system which is not affected when this occurs.  Restarting the ldm
always seems to fix this problem which, thankfully, does not happen very
often.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 address@hidden wrote:

> I get the same sort of behavior with ldm 5.0.8 and AIX 4.2.  Did not
> get this behavior with ldm 5.0.1, as I recall.
>
> The little bit of experimentation I've done seems to indicate that if
> an 'ldm' user remains logged in, the file system space released by
> scouring is not given over to the operating system.  Two solutions
> are possible: as you found out, stopping and re-starting ldm (which
> we now do automatically every day, but even this is not foolproof...
> sometimes a process hangs and the re-start doesn't work), or
> ensuring that no user 'ldm' is logged in continually.  If you find
>  a real solution, I'm all ears.
>
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, weather wrote:
>
> > I don't know if these are related to the LDM (5.0.8) but when
> > I came in this morning my root file system was full on our SPARC
> > running Solaris 7.  LDM writes its output to a different file
> > system on a different disk and writes nothing to the root
> > file system.  But wehn I saw the full root filesystem I stopped
> > the LDM and immediately the disk usage on / went from 100% to
> > 72% (what it was last night) I did not delete anything.
> > Anyone ever seen this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Robert Mullenax

Mark Tucker