20000516: ldm won't write data or logs

>From: Mike Trexler <address@hidden>

Mike,

>What would cause the ldm to not write logfiles to the disk or any data?

Failure to write log files could be due to a couple of different things:

o the write permission on the directory that is to contain the log files
  is not (no longer) writable by the user running the LDM

o the LDM is being run on a Sun Solaris SPARC system where syslogd has
  wedged

If you are running the LDM on a Sun Solaris SPARC system, you should
try killing and restarting syslogd (must be done as 'root').  After
this syslogd "bounce", you may need to stop and restart your LDM.

What operating system are you running on?  Was the LDM started as the
user 'ldm', or was it inadvertantly started by 'root'?  Another
possibility is that the LDM was started by 'root' at which point a number
of files ownership got changed to 'root', and then the LDM was stopped
and restarted by the user 'ldm'.  At this point the log files, etc.
might be owned by 'root' and not writable by 'ldm'.

>I can see the data streaming through with ldmadmin watch, but none is
>written to disk.  I realize my pqact file may not be right, but I've
>checked over it and it seems right.

In order to fully check pqact.conf, you should run:

ldmadmin pqactcheck

This will scan the file and report back any errors.  This also assumes
that you are running a reasonably current version of the LDM.

>Also, curious is the fact that it won't write any
>logfiles.

The log file issue can be due to syslogd as I indicate above.

>It does however write the stat files....hmmm.  Any ideas?

The stats files should be in the same directory as the log files.  The
fact that these are being written tells me that the directory is writable
by the user running the LDM.  I would still, however, check the directory
and file permissions for that directory.

>thanks
>Mike

Please let us know if the above helps.

>******          C. Michael Trexler          ******