future LDM (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 13:11:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: Robb Kambic <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: future LDM

Hiya,

It has come to my attention that UPC should take a look at another development
environment for the future LDM.  I believe that the open standard system
COBRA could possibly fill the niche for the data transport layer. CORBA is
developed for Object Oriented programming environments with many other
positive features, such as code generators to java and other higher level
programming languages. CORBA is being widely accepted as a standard and many
of the ODBM venders platforms sit ontop of CORBA, also many RDBM venders are
also using CORBA in their client-server applications.  Another pro is that the
LDM could be developed as a JavaBean or a Java Enterprise Bean so some of the
higher level code could also be generated. The java LDM could be integrated
with the Web with servlets, jsp, and stand alone GUI interfaces to make the
data available in more than one manner. The LDM could be distributed with a
CORBA runtime license, so all our sites would not have to buy a version of
CORBA. Another plus is that RMI and CORBA are beginning to merge into one
standard within the next couple of years, I don't know the implication of
this merger.

The original LDM used RPCgen to interface with the TCP/IP layers and then
application level code was built ontop of the interface. So it not a new
approach, but I believe it would be with a better product.

No, I don't own stock in a vendor that builds CORBA, but at a recent seminar
there were many folks using CORBA for many different network applications
including folks at SUN and Level3.  So let's take a look...

Robb...