Re: Enterprise 250 (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:36:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Robert Mullenax <address@hidden>
To: Tom Grzelak <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Enterprise 250

Thanks Tom,

We have a 440Mhz UltraSparc clone (SCSI) that we run LDM/McIDAS/GEMPAK
decoders plus it serves as a McIDAS/GEMPAK workstation and a web server
(using CGi scripts) I have come to appreciate it more and more as
I load more tasks onto it versus our Gateway PII 400 (Solaris x86).
The load makes the gateway suffer when using it as a workstation.
I had heard that Sun's really shine when loaded to the max and I see that
is the case.  Cost is going to be our main concern.  I just don't
know if I can convince the powers that be that we really need to spend
>$10,000 when you can get a dual processor Intel for around $6,000.
Our whole problem is getting money to get upgrades, so my theory
would be to get something with a long life span and it seems
to me the Sun's are the way to go.

Thanks,
Robert Mullenax