Re: Decoders

Matthew R Maschmann wrote:

> Anne,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.  I now see the logged error message you
> talked about over the phone.  I receive a steady stream of them now!  It
> seems as though the decoders are looking for a log file it has/should have
> created.  Here is an example of such a message:
>
> could not open /usr/local/ldm/data/decoded/buoyLog.174537.log: No such
> file or directory
>
> could not open /usr/local/ldm/data/decoded/buoyLog.176946.log: No such
> file or directory
>
> I get various messages like this corresponding to the different data
> types.  I will continue working on this, and you will be the first to know
> if I have any success.
>
> Matt

Good Morning Matt,

I assume this means your buoy decoder is running and getting data now, is
that right?

I have no experience with this decoder.  However, I assume that there's a way
to tell it where to put the log.  It seems odd that the name of the log would
vary, presumably with the product (if I'm interpreting the output
correctly).  Usually there's just one log to which entries are appended until
the log is rotated.   And, some logging systems require that the log file
exist before a process can write to it.  You can create an empty file by
simply saying 'touch <logFileName>' - this will create a file of that name
with a length of 0.    But this approach won't work if a new log file is
created for every product having a name that is based on the current
product.  That just doesn't sound right to me.

I wanted to mention a few other general points.  First, once you have the LDM
installed you shouldn't need to do anything as root.  Everything you do
should be done as user 'ldm'.  (Even when you install the software you only
need to be root for one small part.)

Also, it turned out fine for you to contact me directly yesterday since I was
here.  However, in general it is best to send your initial questions to
address@hidden.   These requests go to a central mailer and are
then distributed depending on who is available.  That way if I'm not
available someone else could help you.

I am here all week this week, so let me know if you have any more questions.
Good luck!

Anne

address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307