Re: 20000822: RPC: Program not registered

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: address@hidden
> >Subject: RPC: Program not registered
>

> I'm trying to ingest a NEXRAD Level II radar site from
> squall.ias.sdsmt.edu.  After getting port 388 opened thru their firewall I
> still couldn't get thru and I asked them to open port 111 so ldm could
> contact the portmapper.  Now I get the RPC: Program not registered from
> ldmping.  Is this because they haven't set up ldm in the /etc/services
> and/or /etc/rpc?

Alan,

I'm not 100% sure, here's what in the preinstall instructions:

Add the following lines to file /etc/services

                 ldm 388/udp unidata        # UCAR Unidata LDM
                 ldm 388/tcp unidata        # UCAR Unidata LDM

     This allows programs such as netstat to associate activity on IP port
388 with the LDM.

     Add the following line to file /etc/rpc

                 ldmd 300029 ldm

This allows programs such as rpcinfo to identify RPC program number 300029
as the LDM.

It would seem easier to just modify the file for a quick test.

Can you contact any other services on the machine, ie ftp mail ? Those
services should be in the services and rpc files.   I'll ask
our system admin for more info.

Robb...