20000915: ROUTE PostProcessing setup at Oregon State (cont.)

>From: Wayne Gibson <address@hidden>

Wayne,

re: stopping and restarting the LDM to rotate log files

>I hope I remembering this correctly as it's been a while since I set this up.
>
>The reason we stop and start ldm for log file rotation is due to the way our
>college administrator has configured the syslogd system.  As a resuly, a
>call to "newlog" and subsequent call to "hupsyslog" did not make a proper
>connection to the new log file.  To get logging to work properly, I was
>forced to stop ldm and restart.
>
>Does that make sense to you?

I am unfamiliar with the concept that one can setup syslogd to ignore
HUP signals, but that doesn't mean that it isn't true.  The typical
LDM setup is for hupsyslogd (and rpc.ldmd) to have setuid root privilege
(will run as root).  An invocation of hupsyslogd then sends a HUP to
syslogd as root, and a HUP signal tells the LDM to reread its configuration
file, /etc/syslog.conf.

I will ask our system administrator if one can setup syslogd so that
a HUP won't work to see if perhaps you are doing a lot more work than
you need to.

Tom