Re: sunset downstream sites may feedfrom profhorn.meteor.wisc.edu

Pete,

> I'll be in this evening to try to figure out what's up on sunset. Very
> frustrating, at first, the ldm was crashing, but now I can't even get
> pqcreate to run. It dumps a core as soon as the queue file has grown to
> it's complete size.. I've tried it on different disk drives as well, so
> it's not a bad disk. Strange..

Please send us (address@hidden) the command line you use to
invoke pqcreate and if possible also a traceback from when it crashes.
You can get the traceback by running it until it crashes and leaves a
"core" file, then running "dbx" (or whatever debugger you use, I'm not
sure what platform you are running this on) giving as arguments the
pqcreate executable and the core file, something like:

  % dbx /usr/local/ldm/bin/pqcreate core

At this point dbx may produce a bunch of output, but when it finally
gives you a prompt, type "where" and then cut and paste the output to
me, along with how you invoked pqcreate.

Also it's just worth checking that you are creating the product queue
on a local disk rather than a remotely mounted disk.  The latter won't
work, but it should give an error message rather than just dumping
core ...

> I'm going to try first swapping in some different RAM, and if that
> doesn't work, maybe a new mother board.. Nice to just happen to have a
> few spare parts lying around.. Unidata Support: does this sound to you
> like a memory problem? I have not seen any bad memory info in my system
> logs.

Good luck.  It doesn't sound like a memory problem to me, but I
haven't had any memory problems recently, so I'm not sure what the
symptoms would be.  The system should do a memory check when you
reboot it, which should catch most memory errors.

--Russ