Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:04:19 -0400
From: Frank Colby <address@hidden>
To: James D. Marco <address@hidden>
     address@hidden
Subject: Re: NOAAPort data server x86 configuration

Jessica and all,

Having read with interest and amusement all the wonderful things about
Solaris and Linux, I just thought I would throw my 1 cent in here.  We
run the LDM on a solaris 2.6 machine -- dual intel processors with two
9gb scsi drives, soon to add another 30 gb.  The machine seems to keep
up with things well, and can do Garp displays without slowing.  We have
a Linux machine in our private network which ftps the model files from
the LDM machine, and access these from intel (p200 ) workstations
running win95,98, and using X-win32 (from starnet) as the xwindows
interface.  The win95,98 choice allows easy use of spreadsheets,
wordprocessing and university licenses for all, and the xwindows gives
us garp.  The linux box is a p200 too, and we have run 5 simultaneous
garp sessions without seeing too much slowing -- our network is more of
a bottleneck.  So by all means get 100mbit/s on your network, and lots
of disk space on whatever machine you use as a server.

Frank Colby
UMass Lowell